Monday, April 28, 2008

Inspiration and Tears

Yesterday was a very emotional day for me at church. Of course the older I get, the less it takes for me to cry. Is that hormones or what? I don't know. All I know is I definitely shouldn't leave home without tissues.

A sweet lady in our church passed away last week. She was only in her early 60s and although we knew she was quite ill, it still seemed a shock when we heard the news that she had died. Miss B's husband and daughters were at church yesterday, and her husband even served in his usual role of usher, which I thought was incredibly sweet and brave, and not at all something I would have expected. Tears sprang to my eyes when I saw him walk down the aisle and begin to pass the offering plate. I felt inspired by his presence, and especially by his courage.

Miss B had been a member of the church choir and they honored her memory yesterday by leaving her robe and stole on her empty chair. I thought it was incredibly thoughtful and meaningful. Once again, I felt tears well up in my eyes, and thought to myself, "How can the choir possibly sing today after this loss?" But they did sing and I was inspired.

The kids' choir sang yesterday as well. They're preparing for an upcoming musical and were giving the congregation a sample of what they'll be hearing in a few weeks. My boys sing in the choir, so that's part of the reason I felt the tears come to the surface once again. But I think I would have been emotional regardless of whose kids were singing because there's just something so moving about hearing kids sing anything, but particularly when they sing God's praises. They stood up in front of our congregation and just belted out that song and it was awesome and yes, inspirational.

Inspiration and tears were definitely the theme yesterday, at least for me anyway. I know I wasn't alone though. There were lots of other misty eyes around me. I'm thinking it might be a good idea for the church greeters to start handing out travel packs of tissues along with bulletin, especially on those Sundays like yesterday.

No comments: