Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Where's HGTV when I need them?

We're contemplating a few home decorating upgrades. We've had some of our furniture for years, items that were passed down to us from family members, which we were grateful to receive when we were newlyweds. We've purchased several new things over the years, but we also still have many of the hand-me-downs as well. Now that we've been in this house for more than 6 months, we've decided we want to make some changes and replace a few pieces of furniture, as well as add some paint and window treatments in a couple of rooms. Sounds like fun, doesn't it? In theory, yes, but in reality, not so much.

We've moved many times in the past 15 years, and so often I've made the mistake of rushing out to purchase bedding or curtains (just fill in the blank here) to hurry up and make our house a home, one that reflects our personal style. (Luckily my husband and I do have similar tastes, which is a blessing.) I literally jump the gun and end up regretting choices I've made, because I eventually find something I like more. I hate that!

I vow every time we move that I'm not going to do that this time, however, old habits die hard, and I get so excited and anxious to get things in order that I don't allow myself time to mull things over before making final decisions. Life in the military can be so chaotic and uncertain, therefore I figure I can at least organize and decorate our home, an area over which I can actually take control. Am I speaking to anybody?

Now I'm more cautious and consider things for a longer period of time, but I'm starting to lose my focus and have come to a standstill in all projects. I can't make up my mind about anything. I'm afraid I have no style. I see these awesome ideas on TV, in catalogs & magazines, but when it comes to putting those ideas that appeal to me into motion, I draw a blank. I just want a professional to swoop in and do it all... furniture, window treatments, painting... all of it! Please?

No comments: