Thursday, January 17, 2008

American Idol - A love/hate relationship

Americal Idol has started season #7 this week, and of course that means I'm tuning in whenever possible. I don't know why, but I really enjoy watching this show. I guess part of the fascination for me is the fact that I'm a people watcher, and goodness knows you see lots of different people on American Idol. I admire anyone willing to sincerely audition in the first place. I'm not a singer, although I love to belt out tunes in the shower and in my vehicle, so I can only imagine the bravery and determination it takes to perform in front of a panel of celebrity judges. There isn't enough alcohol in the world to get me to do that! There normally aren't that many compliments thrown around either, which would be hard for someone like me to swallow. I'm not much of a risk-taker. If I can't be guaranteed that I won't be ridiculed or criticized, I'm not likely to want to participate.

American Idol seems to bring out the best and worst in people in the way of talent and personality. Good grief, did you see some of those characters the last two nights of auditions? Why on earth would one choose to make an idiot out of oneself on national TV? I wonder about the sincerity (not to mention mentality) of many of the prospective contestants. I just know some of these folks went to the audition because they lost a bet. Maybe some were looking for a reason to play hooky from work or school. Perhaps when playing "Truth or Dare" with their friends, they chose "dare," thus they were made to show up at the American Idol audition. Give me a break! Surely SOME of these people know their singing stinks.

And can you stand the indignation and hostility some contestants display when given the sad, honest truth that they need not quit their day jobs? Did they really think they were good? REALLY? Umm... Record your voice and listen to it first! It'll save you a lot of trouble and humiliation in the long run.

What's awesome is when someone comes along who truly has the ability to sing. I get so excited just listening, thinking this could be the next American Idol, the next big recording artist. And I have no doubt someone will come along this season to wow everyone. I'll be watching and listening!

No comments: