Wednesday, November 19, 2008

He's growing up, but he's not grown up yet!

My youngest son is 9 years old, which still blows my mind even though his birthday was nearly 3 months ago. I suppose all parents feel this way as they watch their children seemingly grow up overnight. You turn your back and look what happens... They've sprouted 5 inches and are no longer calling you "mommy."

My son and his older brother are very much into Wii and have acquired lots of games to go along with this wildly popular gaming system. Among their favorites is Guitar Hero. It's hilarious (and yet a tad disturbing) to hear my little man belt out Joan Jett's "I Hate Myself for Lovin' You." He doesn't even understand the lyrics; he just likes the beat of the music.

Sidebar: For those of you old enough to remember... American Bandstand's Dick Clark did this "rate a record" segment during the show. How many times did the person rating the record say, "It's got a really good beat"?

Yeah, okay... I digress. I'm just saying that my son isn't alone in the way he interprets music.

Guitar Hero has also introduced my child to rock groups that were popular when I was much younger. He can't seem to understand how it is that I know these bands and their music as well as I do. For a while I was going with the whole "Mom is cool" story, but I finally let the cat out of the bag that these bands had been around for YEARS. Let's just say I'm very familiar with their music.

My son walks up to me just a few days ago and declares, "I LOVE Aerosmith!" That's like the last thing I would have expected to hear him say just a few months ago. Of course the day after he expressed his undying love for this rock band, I caught him intently watching and very much enjoying an episode of Sesame Street. (Please don't tell him I told you!)

I feel so much better. My little man may be growing up, but he's not grown up yet!

1 comment:

Bethie said...

Wil loves Guitar Hero too. When you're back in the states, the boys will have to have a rock-a-thon! :^)