Monday, March 15, 2010

Big Blue Nation & March Madness


It's March Madness, one of my favorite times of the year. We're big college hoops fans at our house. One could say I'm rather partial to the Kentucky Wildcats, and my husband roots for his North Carolina Tar Heels. We actually cheer for one another's teams, as long as they're not playing one another. When that happens, we're a house divided. ☺

My beloved Wildcats are having quite a successful season, and I'm lovin' it. I don't get to watch as many as games as I'd like due to the fact that I reside on another continent. Between the not-so-wonderful TV coverage and the time difference, it's challenging at times, but I watch my team whenever possible.

UK just won the Southeastern Conference (SEC) Tournament and it was a nail biter championship game. They won by the narrowest of margins... 1 point in overtime. I cheered, yelled, clapped and carried on like a maniac. I believe I frightened my children. My oldest was IMing with his dad (who was out of town) during the game and he told him I was "very excited." I'm certain I suffered several mini heart attacks throughout the final minutes. If this is any indication of how the NCAA Tournament is going to go, I might just need to seek the advice of my physician before any further viewing of games.

I'm celebrating with the Big Blue Nation this week and couldn't be prouder of them. Here's a little coverage of the SEC Tournament...

Fanatical fans show their team spirit. In case you aren't aware, UK fans are very serious about winning... ALWAYS!


One of our more famous fans... actress and UK graduate Ashley Judd.


John Wall is UK's all-time leading freshman scorer and assist leader. He leads the SEC and ranks fifth nationally in assists. He's recently been named a First-Team All-American, SEC Player of the Year and National Player of the Year by Yahoo! Sports, just to name a few honors. To say Wall is an exceptional player is putting it mildly. He's phenomenal and so exciting to watch in action. The question is... will he stay for his sophomore year, or will he go pro? I choose to think about that after the NCAA Tournament.

Just a little more regarding John Wall...



This is DeMarcus Cousins, affectionately known as "Boogie" or "Cuz." He was recently selected as a First-Team All-American, he's set all-time records for Wildcat freshmen in double-doubles and rebounds. Cuz has more double-doubles than any other player in the league this season and the most by a Wildcat since the 1973 season. I made reference to Cuz on Facebook during the championship game, and several people thought I had a cousin that played on the team. ☺ Um... these folks are obviously not Cats fans, or they would know who I was talking about.


Here's the shot that Cuz made to put the game into OT. I think by this time I'd chewed every single one of my fingernails to the quick.



Cuz and John Wall celebrate the win. Wall hit a 3-pointer and Cuz sunk a pair of freethrows late in the overtime to help seal the victory.

The UK Wildcats receive the SEC Tournament championship trophy. Three Cats were selected for the all-tournament team... John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins and Eric Bledsoe.
">


The whole team savors the moment.

UK is the #1 seed in the East Regional of the NCAA Tournament and they take on East Tennessee State in the first round on Thursday night (Friday morning for me here in Spain). Go Big Blue! Claw 'em, Cats! I'll be watching.

No comments: