Friday, April 9, 2010

An Unexpectedly Perfectly Beautiful Warm Fun-Filled Day with Friends

I love having an unexpectedly great day, don't you? You know the kind of day I'm talking about... one that begins completely unplanned, but ends up being so much fun and making for some very memorable moments. The boys and I recently experienced one of those days.

One girlfriend called and asked, "What are you doing today?" Does that sound like an invitation or what? I sure thought so! The boys and I were game, and before we knew it, we were venturing out into town with three other moms and their kids. We had no real agenda other than just enjoying the beautiful sunshine, which had been missing for quite some time from our little patch of paradise.

Here the kiddos pose together as we begin our walk on the Rota boardwalk.


My girlfriends and I took a turn posing with the beautiful ocean waters behind us. I still have to pinch myself from time to time to make sure this is all really happening. I do live in southern Spain and the ocean is just right there!

Sidebar: I ended up sitting in gum at the end of the day. Fabulous, right? I didn't want to run the risk of getting gum stuck on the seat of my vehicle too, therefore I took off my sweater and sat on it for the ride home. Um... yeah... probably not the brightest idea I've ever had. Long story short... the gum came out of my jeans, but I had to throw out the sweater.


We always see fishermen whenever we pass by this area. That was the longest fishing pole I believe I'd ever seen. I wonder what kind of catch they had that afternoon.

We'd intended to go to our favorite little sandwich shop on the boardwalk, which had been closed during the winter months, and was scheduled to re-open the end of February. Even though it was more than a couple weeks into March, the restaurant was not open. Bummer! We searched and searched for open restaurants, but weren't finding anyplace. Our decision was to backtrack and stop for some quick tapas, but before we did that, we surprised our kids by suggesting ice cream first. Are we cool moms or what?


One of my girlfriends was feeding her little boy this mini-popsicle. We initially had difficulty figuring out if he liked it or not.


He'd take a break from eating the popsicle, as if to let us know he'd had enough, but then he'd want more...


... and then he'd make that adorable face again.


Another girlfriend's little boy decided he needed a mini-popsicle too.


The kiddos were all too happy to pose for another photo on the beach.


Here we go, playing follow-the-leader, on our way to find some "real" food so the kids don't go home and tell their dads that we moms only fed them ice cream for lunch. ☺


We did find some food, and some entertainment to boot. Score!


From the look on M's face, I think you can gather we had an unexpectedly perfectly beautiful warm fun-filled day with friends. When can we do this again?

1 comment:

Amanda said...

This was a perfect day in Southern Spain. There are times when it's hard for me to believe that we actually live here! It's magnificent.