Tuesday, December 9, 2008

What would I do without duct tape?



You know, duct tape gets a bad rap. People automatically put anyone who uses duct tape in the category of redneck. Even I have made fun of people who use it for certain things such as attaching flowers to the top of a tombstone in a cemetery... Now, let's be real here... that really is a little tacky, don't you think? Even I wouldn't use duct tape for that!

I, however, am certainly NOT above using duct tape for other purposes, say, for instance, taping the pockets on my son's nylon sweats for flag football because I couldn't find ANY dadgum sweat pants in ALL of Spain without pockets, and by the time I ordered some online, the season would be over. He's not allowed to play in pants that have pockets or belt loops, so we had to do what we had to do. What can I say? Drastic situations call for drastic measures!


Here my son used duct tape at Halloween and made his own costume, dressing as the lesser-known creature the "Duct Tape Monster." Creative? Weird? Take your pick... I didn't have to make the costume or order anything online. That works for me.

The other new-found use for duct tape came over the weekend when my husband attempted to put Christmas lights on our house. These are concrete cinder-block-like houses. There is simply NO WAY of using a staple gun or nails to rig the lights. It would require a drill and that's just too time-consuming. We at least had the good taste to purchase clear waffle-weave-like duct tape so it's not visible from a distance. Anyone approaching the house, coming within ten feet or so, will DEFINITELY notice, however (and here's their warning), those who comment will not be receiving Christmas goodies from us this year. Again... drastic situations call for drastic measures.

I googled duct tape and ended up finding this interesting website where you could learn how to make things with duct tape, and in different colors too. Check it out... How about a duct tape wallet for the one you love?


Or perhaps a purse?


Nothing says "I love you" like a bouquet of duct tape roses. Find out how to make these wonderful gifts and more at http://www.ducttapefashion.com/.

So we're finding duct tape is proving its worth here in Spain. Try it... you'll like it. Just don't use duct tape for things like this... This is clearly a violation of proper duct tape usage.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Abby has some friends that have taken classes on how to "create" with duct tape, in fact one made a very cute purse for her! In the summer I know that part of Maple Grove days there is a duct tape fashion show! Some very creative girls.

Kathy