Thursday, October 4, 2007

Organization is My Friend

I love organization! I admit it... I probably have touches of OCD (You know, OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE DISORDER!). My friend Dana and I joke around about our OCD tendencies. She's a professional organizer, so she knows about these things. Please know I realize there are people in this world who truly suffer from OCD and it's no laughing matter. I'm not talking about them... I'm talking about me! I just like the idea of having a place for everything.

I love those HGTV shows where the organization professionals swoop in on families and their pigsty homes and whip them into shape! It's not just because I like seeing the before and after, which is always amazing, but it's also because seeing the way some people live makes me feel so much better about the way I live. I look at other people's clutter and "foolishness," as Niecy from "Clean House" would say, and I feel pretty good about myself.

I don't like clutter around me for long periods of time. I mentioned we're a military family and we move a lot. Moving is chaotic and I don't care for the whole packing and unpacking thing. I like seeing new places, experiencing new things and making new friends, but the physical part of moving I could certainly do without. It's exhausting, chaotic and messy. There are boxes and packing paper everywhere, just piles of it! For those with organization issues (like me), it's enough to make you crazy. Yep, just go ahead and throw another quarter into the therapy jar!

My children do not display even the slightest hint of OCD tendencies. I suppose I should be happy for them because I imagine they'll be happier, more fulfilled people down the road. But I'm not particularly happy for myself because I still have to live with these slobs... uh, I mean loving children... for several more years before they go off and establish their own pigpens... uh, I mean beautiful homes. Okay, I have to give my boys credit in that they do make their beds on a daily basis and they do a pretty good job of it. I still have to constantly remind them to pick up their clothes, toys, books, etc. off the floor, but at least those beds are made, right? Small steps, small steps...

No comments: