Thursday, October 29, 2009

Cub Scout den leaders are saints!

I took my youngest son to his Cub Scout den meeting last night. Normally this responsibility would fall to my husband, however, he's out of town for a couple of weeks, therefore I get to take M to Scouts while he's away.

Our den is quite large with 11 boys on the roster, and all but one were present for last night's meeting. These 10 boys, some accompanied by younger siblings (because many moms and dads are single parenting this week), can make some serious noise. My head began to throb within minutes of arriving. I had to fight the urge to yell, "SHUT UP!" Can you imagine how that would have gone over? Don't worry, I managed to stay silent, but it was definitely a struggle.

The boys are all sweet kids one on one, but some personalities do not mix well as they feed off of one another's behavior, and before you know it, they're out of control. It was utterly chaotic and I found myself wanting to discipline other parents' kids, parents who were right there and not doing anything about the obnoxious, rude and disrespectful behavior their boys were exhibiting.

Our poor den leader truly deserves credit for even attempting to take on this group of wild boys. Frankly, I'm concerned for his sanity. If it were me, I'd have to resist the urge to drink heavily before AND after den meetings. I told him I was gonna go home and pray for him after the meeting. He needs all the prayers he can get!

All I can think about is the fact that I have to go back to the den meeting next week too. Have mercy!

No comments: