Sunday, October 25, 2009

Things that make you go, "Hmmm..."

I'm a Facebooker. I enjoy the social networking that goes along with having a Facebook page. I love that it has allowed me to reconnect with high school classmates whom I haven't seen or talked to in 25+ years. I also enjoy the opportunity to chat with the many military friends we've made over the years as well as family members we rarely get to see. I can peek at photos of their families during holidays and vacations and they can do the same with me. This has been very enjoyable for me, however, I just had my first negative experience with Facebook.

A few days ago I commented on the status of one of my Facebook friends. It seems she was having a rough time and I asked if she was okay. She responded that she was fine, just dealing with some issues. She didn't go into details or post any personal information. Nothing else was said.

A couple of days later I received a private Facebook message from a complete and total stranger, obviously not one of my Facebook friends. This person had evidently read the mini-conversation that had taken place between my friend and me, and felt it necessary to share her personal thoughts. She then proceeded to make a very serious accusation about my friend. Can you say "awkward?" Mind you, this came out of nowhere for me. I have NO IDEA who this person is, nor why she would feel the need to contact me.

I wondered what I should do. Should I contact my friend and tell her someone is accusing her of wrongdoing? Should I respond to this stranger, and if so, what should I say?

You wanna know what I did? I did nothing. I couldn't see anything positive resulting from getting involved. I'm not telling my friend anything that might upset her further, nor am I taking the bait by responding to the stranger sending the disturbing message. On-line drama is so not my thing!

No comments: