Friday, September 14, 2007

The cat is definitely out of the bag!

Today I inadvertently told my 11-year-old son that his father and I had previously been married to other people. I didn't set out to even talk about my first marriage; it was a conversation that just evolved. The thing is, I thought my kiddo already knew about my past. I say that as if it's some big soap opera - NOT!

The fact is, both my husband and I were married to other people at one time. We haven't ever sat down with our kid to discuss this, but it wasn't something we were necessarily keeping a secret. Like I said, I thought our oldest knew about this other part of our lives.

This is how it went down...

I had to check my son out of school a bit early for a doctor's appointment this afternoon, and on the way to the doctor we were chatting about school. I asked him how he liked this new teacher and he said she was very nice, but sometimes tough. We then talked about how teachers sometimes have to be tough, and I said I should know because I used to be a teacher myself. That's when the conversation started to evolve into a different topic.

My son asked me what my students called me... "Mrs. Marva?" I said, "No, they used my last name, not my first name." He then used my maiden name and I corrected him by giving him my former married name. He said, "You were married before?" Uhhh.... I realized he didn't know after all.

So we talked further about the fact that both Dad and I had been previously married. I told him sometimes marriages don't work out for lots of reasons, and it wasn't what Daddy and I would have chosen, nor was it what God would have chosen for us, but it happened anyway. I went on to tell him that I was very much in love with his dad and knew that God helped us get it right this time. I didn't want him to worry that we might not stay together.

For a few minutes he was under the impression that his dad was really his step-dad. I had to reassure him that wasn't the case and told him he'd probably never even meet the people to whom my husband and I used to be married. Then he asks me, "What if I do?" Geez... where is this conversation going and how did we get here anyway? I explained that it would be okay if he met our former spouses. He'd just say hello, be polite and that would be that.

Then he said, "Okay." He didn't ask any more questions and the world continues to turn.

No comments: