Wednesday, September 12, 2007

What's Wrong with People?

Yesterday I had a doctor's appointment at a military medical facility. The fact that this appointment was at a military facility isn't really the main issue, but to me it was significant and this is why... (Get ready 'cause I'm about to get on my soapbox!)

I was about to enter the building and noticed a vehicle parked next to the curb right up front. No one was in the driver seat, however, someone was in the passenger seat. I saw this person roll down his window and throw a banana peel on the sidewalk. I just stood there staring at this man as if to say, "WHAT did you just do? Did you REALLY just throw a banana peel out of your window outside a military medical facility?" Can you believe that? Anyone could have come along and slipped and fallen on that banana peel!

I guess I shouldn't be surprised by anything people do anymore. I know it was just a banana peel, but it's the principle of the matter. How would this man like it if someone threw something in his yard or on his sidewalk for him to either a) pick up and dispose of, or b) slip and fall and possibly break a bone or two?

What I should have done, but obviously didn't, was go over and pick up the banana peel and throw it away myself. I wouldn't have had to say a thing to the man, but my actions would have been louder than words. Why didn't I do that?

Where is the respect and common courtesy these days? WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE? This incident really got under my skin. Can you tell? Okay, I'm done. I'm off of my soapbox and feel so much better.

No comments: