Saturday, September 22, 2007

Snacked Out!

Okay, I complained about snacks in a recent blog, and sorry, but I'm not finished complaining. I understand kids are all about snacks. I like snacks myself. We used to ask our kids what their favorite part about playing team sports was and they'd say, "The snack at the end of the game." Of course, what was I thinking? A kid has his priorities after all.

I've done my fair share of providing snacks for various sports teams, school events, birthday parties... If you're a mom, you can probably relate. It's what we do... provide snacks for the world.

My youngest son had a soccer game today. His team colors are orange and to be cute, I thought I'd provide all orange snacks. At halftime, the team likes to have a quick, healthy snack, preferably a fruit of some sort to give the kids some energy. We provided oranges. I even cut them up and put 4 slices in individual baggies for all the kids and had wipes for the sticky hands afterwards. I was surprised at the number of kids who wouldn't touch them. Well, that's okay I thought, because the kids will really like what we were handing out at the end of the game.

I bought orange Gatorade and made these orange-colored vanilla-flavored lollipops in the shape of a soccer ball. Most kids did take these, although a few turned their noses up. One kid looked in my cooler and then at me and said, "A lollipop and a drink... THAT'S ALL?!" Let's just say I was gritting my teeth and reminding myself that flogging a child in public is probably not the best idea. I just looked at him, smiled and said, "Sorry." Of course the kid still snagged the goods and went on his merry way, without so much as a "thank you," I might add. On the way home I gave my son a short lecture on how one either graciously accepts or turns down a snack when it's not necessarily a personal favorite.

It's not like anyone could ever please two kids with anything, much less please 14 kids. That's a tough realization for a people pleaser such as myself. I'm so glad my snack requirement has been fulfilled for the season. Check that box, baby! I'm DONE!

No comments: