Friday, September 14, 2007

Would you like to support our school in our fundraiser?

I'm almost afraid to even get started on this subject. I've grown to despise fundraisers. I understand why they're necessary, but I'm just tired of them... PERIOD!

My kids have come home from school with the same "wrapping paper/candy/gift item which shall remain nameless fundraiser" as they brought home last year. Did people not order enough of these items the previous year to last them a lifetime? Why do we have to sell the same stuff year after year?

And you know who gets stuck selling this junk, don't you? Me, that's who! I won't allow my kids to go door-to-door, although other parents do, and I can NEVER say no to a pathetic-looking kid selling anything. I could be allergic to whatever the kid is selling and I'd still buy it! And I HATE when a kid comes to the door selling the latest and greatest fundraiser items and a parent is standing just a few feet away. The pressure to purchase from the kid just went up significantly. How can you say no when mom or dad is standing right there too? Can't do it!

Just who do I ask to buy what we're peddling anyway? We're a military family and move every couple of years or so. We don't know that many people, plus I have two kids and they're both supposed to be selling this stuff. There are 8 kids on my street alone who are participating in the same fundraiser. I also found out our church preschool is participating in the same fundraiser, so I don't feel right about taking "prospective customers" away from the church of all places. Some folks take their kids' fundraiser catalogs to work, but I don't have a job outside my home, so I'd be relying on my husband to do that. Okay, not happening! I can just see him peddling the latest and greatest fundraiser items in the Pentagon. I don't think so! All of my girlfriends' kids are selling something too, so I'm not going to ask them. None of our family members live around here, but they do have that wonderful option of purchasing online. That would be great if I had relatives who are computer savvy enough to figure it out.

Why can't I just write a check to the school and be done with it? Why isn't there just an automatic tuition fee that we pay at the beginning of the year? I really think people would be lined up just waiting to pay that fee rather than participate in the myriad of fundraisers held each school year. Just tell me who to make my check out to and how much you want. Done!

Have I mentioned I HATE fundraisers?

So... would you like to buy some wrapping paper?

No comments: