Saturday, May 3, 2008

Friday Funny

It's 8:34pm and my husband is outside attempting to mow our lawn in the dark. He had some daylight left around 7:45 or so and thought perhaps he could at least get the front yard mowed before it got too dark to see. I know what you're thinking... Why wouldn't he just wait until tomorrow, right? Well, we have a very full day tomorrow with multiple events that last until the evening, so he thought he'd try to knock out some of the yardwork tonight. And it REALLY needs to be mowed because we've had a bit of rain lately and the grass has shot up seemingly overnight.

So I heard the mower going and then I heard my husband's infamous whistle, the one he uses when trying to get the kids' attention. We're all like trained dogs in that we come running whenever we hear his whistle. I went to the door and he asked me to help him with something.

We have a self-propelled mower, so we have to squeeze and hold the bar in place near the handle to operate it. Somehow, Lord only knows how, my husband pulled the cord out of the mower upon starting the motor. So if he lets go of the bar, there's no way to start the mower again, and of course he can't quit for the night because of the obvious. He's also using a bag catcher and when it got full, he needed me to hold the bar so the mower would continue to run. He asked me to see if I could find some heavy duty tape in the house to hold that bar in place, and naturally I couldn't find one roll of tape anywhere. I did find some heavy duty plastic ties and those are doing the trick. (I think I hear a Jeff Foxworthy "You Might Be a Redneck" joke being said somewhere right about now.)

As frustrating as this probably is for my husband, I'm enjoying laughing about the whole scenario. I'm not one bit surprised because this kind of thing is so classic for our family! Do these things happen to other people besides us?

No comments: