Thursday, May 1, 2008

Math + Me = Math (because I'm a ZERO!)

I've always been a good student, an A & B kinda gal for the most part. I took advanced math in middle school and algebra I & II in high school, and I did well, however, that's about the extent of my math intellect. I had very limited geometry and certainly no calculus or trigonometry (Did I even spell that correctly?). I'm not a math whiz, that's for sure, but Lord knows I wish I were!

My oldest son is in 5th grade and is taking an advanced math course, which is basically 6th grade math. Can I just say that 6th grade math is considerably different than I remember? Heaven help me, but I'm challenged almost daily by the math my kid brings home. He's doing all kinds of algebra and geometry and could probably outscore me on a test any day!

Last week my kiddo had a homework page that practically had me hitting the bottle. I finally gave in and decided to contact my out-of-town husband who just happens to be quite good in math. I tried to scan the homework page into my computer, but it wasn't working properly (We still need to fix it). I nearly panicked! Then I realized that there's definitely more than one way to skin a cat, and I got out my trusty digital camera and took pictures of the math problems, downloaded them onto my computer and emailed them to my husband. How's that for resourcefulness and desperation? My husband and I worked on our son's math problems via the telephone and internet (Thank God for technology!) at 10:00pm. If that's not parental love, I don't know what is!

Today my son has a math test. He and I studied together this morning before he left for school, as if I could really help him. Yeah, I know, it's scary. Hopefully he'll perform well in spite of my best efforts to confuse the both of us.

No comments: