Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Parking Lot Peeves - NOT COOL, PEOPLE!

Get ready, 'cause right about now I'm up on my big ol' soapbox, ready to practically preach a sermon on proper parking lot etiquette. Maybe this is just a pet peeve of mine, and it's a personal problem I have to overcome, but honesty, I've just about had it with rude, thoughtless people around here!

I went to the movies recently, and when I got ready to leave, the car parked on the driver's side of my vehicle had pulled in so doggone close (and over the line into my parking space), I couldn't possibly open my door to get inside. Seriously, not one of the skinnest of Hollywood's anorexic crowd could have squeezed between my vehicle and the one next to it! I had no other option but to open the passenger door and climb across the console to get into the driver's seat. Let me just say that it took every ounce of restraint in me not to leave the driver next to me a sarcastic little note expressing my displeasure at having to stretch and contort my body in such an unnatural, uncomfortable, unnecessary manner just so I could get in my truck and drive away. NOT COOL, PEOPLE!

I came out of a store today and went to get in my truck and the car next to me had pulled in at an angle, nearly blocking me in and preventing me from being able to back out of my space. Why? Was that necessary? Again... NOT COOL, PEOPLE!

I really hate it when people, particularly those driving super-expensive cars, take up two parking spaces, and in the Wal-Mart parking lot no less. I suppose it's because they're afraid someone will damage their nice car. Don't they know parking like that makes people WANT to damage their nice car? And if you're going to continue to take up two parking spaces, do it WAY OUT in the parking lot, not close to the entrance. NOT COOL, PEOPLE!

I was pulling out of a parking area of a local gas station a few months ago and was watching very closely for other vehicles entering and exiting, not to mention the people on foot who were returning to their cars after having gone inside for whatever reason. There was a huge delivery truck parked at the front door of the station and I was passing it very slowly, when this guy just walked out from in front of the truck, and then in front of me, not at all paying attention to where he was going. I had to step on the brakes quickly and the guy just glared at me and yelled for me to watch where I was going. Excuse me? I WAS watching where I was going, because if I hadn't been, I would have flattened the guy. I rolled down my window and said I was sorry, that I didn't see him coming from in front of the other truck. He just threw up his hands and waved me off, and said, "Whatever!" Yeah, well you have a nice day now too! NOT COOL, PEOPLE!

Do you see where I'm going here? Why can't people be more courteous? I'm beginning to understand road rage, only this is more like parking lot rage. Do any of you experience these kinds of situations? What are your pet peeves?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

People who cut in front of you at the register...grrrr

Kellan said...

Yes - These same crazies are parking in the parking lots around here too - MAKES ME CRAZY TOO!

Nice to see you today Marva - hope to see you again soon - Kellan

kristi said...

People who ride your tail, pass you, only to turn on the next road. NOT COOL PEOPLE!

Anonymous said...

I love to read AND feel your passion...no matter what you are writing about. Have you ever thought of writing as a 2nd job.....I would certainly buy your books.

About the Parking Lot Peeves...please add to that those who insist on backing in a parking space, and while doing that, they take up the whole road/lane and then have to do it AGAIN, so they can park CLOSER to the person next to them.

Now I understand the backing in by the people with SUV/trucks, but a HONDA!!!! Come on go to an empty space and learn to park in straight and then how to BACK OUT!!!!

Ok, that's all folks...got to go!!! :):):)

Ruthie