Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Heaven... simply heaven

I'm an avid reader of a blog with which you are probably quite familiar - "Confessions of a Pioneer Woman." I love Ree's wit and writing style as well as her beautiful photography. Her new site has so many great features, and lately I've been checking out her "Pioneer Woman Cooks" blog to see what yummy recipes she's posted.

A few weeks ago Ree posted a recipe for apple dumplings. I copied the recipe and printed it out, thinking it sounded tasty. I FINALLY got around to making this dish over the weekend. It was my present to myself for Mother's Day, and I was not disappointed. Oh my! It was SO DELICIOUS (easy too!) that I have to share it with those of you who may not have seen or tried this recipe. If you like apple pie or cobbler, you'll want to try this dish. Trust me. You'll want to thank me and then you'll want to thank Ree, and then you'll probably want to kill us both because you'll want to eat those apple dumplings until you're sick. They're THAT GOOD!

APPLE DUMPLINGS

Ingredients:
2 Granny Smith apples
2 cans crescent rolls
2 sticks butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 small can (half-can size) Mountain Dew
cinnamon

Directions:
Peel and core apples. Cut apples into 8 slices each. Roll each apple slice in a crescent roll. Place in a 9 x 13-inch buttered baking dish. Melt butter, then add sugar and barely stir. Add vanilla, stir and pour over apples. Pour Mountain Dew around the edges and down the middle of the baking dish. Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Serve with ice cream (I used Cool Whip because I didn't have ice cream on hand) and spoon some of the sweet sauces from the bottom of the dish over the top.

Heaven... simply heaven! Enjoy!

No comments: