Friday, August 15, 2008

It's done

Finally our household goods are crated and loaded on a truck. Wednesday was an incredibly long day! First of all, the movers didn't arrive until 10:30am, a couple of hours later than we'd anticipated. They didn't bring a handcart/dolly, so they used ours until one arrived later in the day. We wondered what they would have done if we hadn't had one for them to use. Aren't they supposed to be the professional movers?

They only sent three movers too, so that slowed down the process considerably. Luckily as the day wore on and other movers were finishing up their jobs, they trickled in to help out our crew. At one point there were nine people hauling stuff out of the house and loading it onto the truck, and we were still there until after 9:00pm. We don't have that much stuff! I know crating household goods takes longer than simply loading it all onto a truck, but this is what these folks do for a living, right?

We remained calm and relatively patient, but it wasn't easy. It had gotten to the point that I just wanted to start hauling stuff outside myself. I wanted to shout, "Git 'r done, people!"

Like I've said before, moving is an exhausting business, whether you've packed and hauled boxes or simply watched. I know that sounds crazy, but it's true. If you've ever been through one of these military moves, you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't, the best way to describe the feeling is to compare it to sitting in a hospital, waiting for news or visiting with someone for hours on end. You haven't actually done anything physical, but the sitting and waiting (and even worrying) simply wipes you out.

Yesterday we went back to the house to do some cleaning and laundry (the washer and dryer are still there as they belong to the owners). I cleaned out the refrigerator/freezer, pantry and the kitchen cabinets. The movers won't pack certain household items for good reason (i.e. candles, lightbulbs, etc.). I gave some stuff to the neighbors because I hate to just throw things out when someone else might be able to use them.

So we left our house and neighborhood for the last time yesterday, and we were a little melancholy. Actually, I think my husband was just relieved, but the boys and I were a little melancholy. Of course I'm melancholy about everything right now and you know why... PMS. You know what's going to happen... I'm going to manage to hold off starting my monthly cycle until the moment we board that airplane. How pleasant!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh great. No dolly? What a joy!! We are thinking about you and can sympathize. Just be safe and have a great trip to Spain. We'll look forward to seeing some beautiful pictures!! O;)

Unknown said...

Have a safe trip to Spain! I wish I was moving! Although I don't miss all the craziness involved with moving. I can't wait to hear about your new adventures in Spain!
Kathy