Thursday, August 7, 2008

Why can't I be Samantha or Jeannie?

As you know, we're in the midst of moving, having had packers at our house two days this week and expecting more packers three days next week. I don't mind moving to new places, meeting new people and such. What I abhor is the physical exhaustion that is associated with moving. Mind you, it's not as if I'm actually packing the boxes; it just feels like I am.

We like to prep our house before moves... purge and get rid of unwanted items by either selling, donating or trashing them. I LOVE getting rid of stuff! I could totally be on the "Clean House" TV crew. I suppose it's one of the perks of moving with the military. The more we move, the more I feel as if I could live with less. We have our fair share of stuff, don't get me wrong, but we're minimalists compared to lots of other folks we know. I don't enjoy unpacking and finding a spot for every little thing. The less we have, the less there is to unpack. So we've been purging for a while, giving away lots of stuff, selling some items on craigslist (which is AWESOME!) and trashing the rest. It feeds my soul, I tell you!

Our express and storage shipments have left the house, so next week will bring packers for two days, and the truck will be loaded on the third day. What we have to do between now and then is decide what we're packing to take with us on the airplane ride to Spain, and then of course do the packing. That means laundry needs to be done and decisions need to be made. It's difficult to decide what to pack because I'm afraid of not taking something I'll really need, but then again, I don't want to schlep too much stuff around the airport either. Decisions! Decisions!

Then we have cleaning to do. Ugh! I simply don't want to do it. I'm tired now and I haven't even started to do all that needs to be done. I just want someone to do it all for me, or else I want to have the ability to magically get it all done with little or no effort on my part. If I could just be Samantha from "Bewitched" or Jeannie from "I Dream of Jeannie," I'd be set. All I would have to do is wiggle my nose or blink my eyes and POOF! My chores would be history. Heck, I'd already be moved into my house in Spain and not even have to worry about the plane ride. Our household goods would unpack themselves. What a nice little escape from reality I just had! Now... back to the laundry...

No comments: