Sunday, August 10, 2008

The moving saga continues...

Our life is consumed with our move right now. Yesterday we packed our clothing for the plane ride. Today we'll pack our toiletries and gather up other items we might consider mailing to our next destination. Why do that now when we don't leave until Saturday? Movers come tomorrow to start packing up the bulk of our household goods, and when you've moved as often as we have, you know from experience that whatever isn't nailed down, will get packed, even your trash - REALLY! We'll put everything we don't want the movers to pack in our guest room, close the door and put a sign on it to let them know they don't need to bother with the stuff in that room. It's just easier for all concerned.

We've finally sold, given away and trashed pretty much everything we can until the last of our belongings leaves the house for good. Then we'll focus on the items that weren't packed, which are usually things like food items, candles, lightbulbs, batteries, cleaners, etc. We'll try to pawn those things off... uh, I mean donate them to someone in the neighborhood. I usually just throw out half-used condiment containers and such. Who really wants someone else's half-used mayonnaise? You don't know how long they've left it sitting on the counter after last week's BBQ, or who's stuck their dirty fingers in the catsup. Yeah, some things are just not meant to be shared.

Today was our last day at church and that was a little emotional. I'm such a crybaby anyway. I managed to cry a couple of times this morning, and I so hate doing that in front of large groups of people. I'm not a pretty cryer. Some women look beautiful even when they cry (I HATE that, don't you?), but that wouldn't apply to me. I get the Rudolf nose and splotchy face and my lips start to feel dry and cracked from the salty tears. And then there's the whole runny nose thing. No, it's not even a remotely attractive sight.

I'm starting to feel like I just want to be in our new location and skip all the good-byes, explanations and tears. Moving is draining in every sense of the word for me - physically, mentally and emotionally. I feel like a rag doll at the end of it, simply devoid of all energy. In fact, all this talk about moving makes me want to go (YAWN) take a nap. Maybe I'll sneak upstairs and do just that. Sshhhh... don't tell anybody and they won't miss me for a half hour or so.

No comments: