Sunday, February 28, 2010

Walk tall and carry a big stick

I have apparently become the neighborhood watch dog, not because I signed up for the job, but purely out of necessity. So... what does one do when every kid in the neighborhood, plus several outside the neighborhood, meet up in front of one's house to shoot hoops, ride bikes, throw football, etc., and that one kid begins to cause trouble?

When I say "trouble," I mean he is rough with other kids, particularly the younger ones. He throws things at them, takes off on other kids' bikes and won't get off, engages in name calling, etc.

The situation is a little complicated because I believe the kid might have a few issues I don't fully understand. I've attempted to talk nicely to him and explain that his behavior isn't acceptable as he's hurting other kids, in more ways than one. He's always very polite to me and nods his head, replying, "Yes, ma'am." But then he goes right back to the bullying.

I have no idea if this child's parents are aware of the challenges we're experiencing as I have yet to speak to them, although I have told the child I will if I feel it necessary. I'm beginning to feel it necessary more and more with each passing day, and boy, do I HATE confrontational situations. I avoid them at all costs.

All I know is what was once a peaceful setting for kids to gather and play together has become quite the opposite. I have kids ringing my doorbell, telling me that this child has said or done something hurtful and inappropriate. I understand the need to tell an adult, and I'm the closest one, so it makes sense for them to come to me, but I'm tired of playing referee and being put in the position of having to discipline other people's children.

Several of the children who play in our neighborhood don't live all that close, and I just wonder if their parents have a clue as to where they are when they're missing for hours on end. I'm more than a little perturbed with the lack of parental supervision around here. While I'm not in the habit of calling out someone else's child, I will most certainly do it when there is no parent present, especially if the mischief continually happens in my front yard.

Anyone have some good, sage advice for me?

2 comments:

Myra said...

I've always taken the approach that I want other parents to correct my children IF I am not around and they are behaving inappropriately, so I will do the same for their children. If they don't like it, they can come supervise their child! I had a very similar situation in one of our previous neighborhoods, with a kid that came from a challenging home life. You have to walk the line between providing a positive role model and not allowing them to mess things up for everyone else. Perhaps you can tell him lovingly that if his behavior persists (ie if you hear one more complaint about him today), then he will not be allowed to play in front of your house. If he calls you on it, you call his parents. If you follow through with it, even once, he should take you more seriously. Good luck!

Arielle said...

This is but one of the reasons Brad and I don't have children... little rascals are complicated! Dogs are much easier for me. So my advice of "call the pound and have the mean one picked up" probably wouldn't apply here. :-)

Good luck!