Monday, April 7, 2008

And cloning isn't a good idea because...?

Spring sports have started and we've only had a handful of practices and one game and I've decided cloning of myself is going to be absolutely necessary to get through the season.

We've got one kid playing soccer (We've already discussed that, but I'm happy to report he's LOVIN' it!) and another one playing baseball. Admittedly, I know nothing about soccer because I didn't even know what soccer was when I was growing up. Seriously! Where I come from, we had the big three - baseball, basketball and football. Our school actually had both a golf and tennis team, but they were well hidden secrets. So soccer is almost difficult for me to watch because I don't understand the different positions with the exception of the goalie of course. I'm trying to be a supportive parent though, but I can't help teach the kid anything about a game I know zero about myself.

And let's face it... baseball just takes over your life. It's a total time sump! I enjoy going and at least I understand the game, but a game is seemingly an eternity from start to finish. First of all, you've got to have your player there in time for batting practice prior to the game, which can sometimes be an hour or so beforehand because both teams have to practice. The games NEVER start on time. I don't know why. I just know they don't. The games last either 6 innings or an hour and 30 minutes, whichever comes first, unless there is a tie and we have to go into extra innings. It ends up being at least a 3-hour event before it's all said and done.

Sitting outside watching my children play sports when it's 40 degrees, windy and rainy to boot, is what I enjoy most on any given day, how 'bout you? Why is it that March was warmer, less windy and less rainy than April? I know all about the "April showers bring May flowers" deal, but I thought April was at least supposed to be a bit warmer than March. What's up with that? I'm freezing my keister off here! Surely my kids have to know that I love them immensely to be willing to sit in the cold to watch them play sports.

Saturday is going to be interesting and challenging. See if you can help me figure out how to get everyone where they need to be at the right time and not lose my mind. There is a bright side in that the events are over by noon. That's really only a small consolation. Here's our schedule...

8:00am - Baseball Pictures
8:45am - Soccer Pictures
9:30am 'til noon - Kids' Choir Rehearsal
9:30am - Baseball Game
10:30am - Soccer Game

Something's gotta give this Saturday and we have to decide what it's going to be. I hate for the kids to miss out on a game because they enjoy playing and they're part of a team, and we're of the belief that when you commit yourself to being part of a team, you owe it to your coaches and teammates to be there. Then again, both kids have speaking parts in the upcoming kids' choir musical at church and they need to rehearse. We can't let down the rest of the cast, right? What to do? I don't know if you see any possible way of working this out short of cloning myself as well as the kids, and you and I know that isn't going to happen. I frankly think cloning is okay in certain situations, and this qualifies for one of those certain situations, don't you think?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my, that makes my head hurt just thinking about it. Also reminds me what we have coming up.

I think you should just let your hubby take over the schedule and you should soak in a hot bath!!

Marva said...

I'm likin' your way of thinkin', my friend! :)

BethsRantsnRaves said...

We used to have those problems then Chris got his driver's license! Now I only have to haul my daughter and her horse around. Even though she's been through 911 driving school, she can drive in Europe until she's 18. Probably a good thing...I wish my son couldn't either!