Sunday, April 20, 2008

A sporting chance...

Yesterday was all about sports for our family. Our youngest son had a baseball game at 8:30 in the morning, which frankly isn't a nice thing to do to to families on a Saturday morning. Normally the kids have to be at the field an hour or so prior to the start of the game for batting and infield practice, but since our coach is a nice guy and a parent himself, he took pity on the kids (and their parents) and only made us show up a half hour prior. Thanks, coach!

I have to go a little further in my praise of our coach to say what a caring, patient person he is. One of our players got hit in the neck with a ball that hit the ground and popped up. The kid managed to pick up the ball and throw it to first base, but afterward he was really in pain. The coach called time and went out onto the field and actually sat down in the infield with this kid and helped him catch his breath and made sure he was okay before play resumed. All the other players on our team were instructed to take a knee until the kid was ready to get up. The coach just took his time and gave his full attention to the injured player, not worrying about anything else but him. I thought it was awesome, and it made for the sweetest picture, so I took a couple, but won't show them here for privacy reasons.

My son played a good game, getting three hits and making it around all of the bases and to home plate for a scored run, something he'd been hoping to do. He played both pitcher and catcher yesterday and he really likes catcher. Check him out...




This is the "donuts after the game reaction."
















Our team won the game 18-2, which was unbelievable, especially considering the beating we took last weekend. Just goes to show you that any team is capable of winning just as any team is capable of losing. I will say it's much more fun to win.

We had a little break to catch our breath before our oldest son's soccer game in the afternoon. It was his first soccer game and he really enjoyed it. I don't know squat about soccer, that fact already having been established a few posts ago, but I was getting into it yesterday. I couldn't tell if my son knew what he was doing or not because I'm ignorant about the game, but at least he was in the middle of the action and trying his best. He was exhausted afterwards too, and I understand why. There's SO MUCH running and very little down time during the game. I was exhausted just watching the kids play.




His team lost 3-2, but I must say, it was incredibly exciting for me. Maybe by the end of the season, I'll know a thing or two about the game. There may be hope for me yet.

2 comments:

Kellan said...

What great pictures of both boys' games!! I am always impressed by any kids that will play catcher - aren't you!!! Glad you boys are doing so well in their sports - it's so much fun and good for them.

Thanks for coming by Marva - so nice to see you. I used to live in Springfield (Burke, actually). Loved that area - lived there for 4 years when I was younger (my dad was stationed there - he was in the Army).

Have a good Monday - Hope to see you again soon - Kellan

Anonymous said...

I wish that there was some sort of cheat sheet for explaining soccer! I am embarrassed to say that I have been watching Erin play soccer for 6 years now and I still don't understand it! I just know to cheer when I see our team running towards the appropriate goal. I think that I have missed more of Erin's goals then I have seen because I have been chatting with my friends too much!
Kathy