Friday, September 26, 2008

He's got a crush...

Our youngest son has a crush on a girl in his class, but you didn't hear it from me. He'd deny it 'til his dying day and would be mortified that I just put it out there for everyone to read.

Little man told me a few nights ago that he likes a girl from his class. I asked him who and he said, "Layla." He then informed me that he didn't like her for a girlfriend, only a friend. Hello! Isn't that code for "I have a crush on Layla"? I went along with it though. I asked my son why he liked this girl and he said she was just a nice girl. Okay. Hmmm...

Later that same night the little man had a separate conversation about Layla with his dad, but this time he slyly asked if we had a school directory. When he found out there was no school directory, he seemed disappointed. My husband asked him who he wanted to call and he said, "Layla," and went on to say he liked her, but only as a friend. Okay. Hmmm...

Now we actually saw this little girl at a recent birthday party at the bowling alley, but we can't remember her to save our lives.

Friday night we took the boys to a kid-friendly event on base and each of them invited a friend because we were celebrating the boys' birthdays. Little man was scanning the crowd, looking for someone, and I thought he was looking for the friend he'd brought along that night, so I said, "Hey, your buddy is right over there." He said, "No, I'm looking for Layla. She said she was going to be here and I don't see her anywhere."

Yep, he's got a crush... on Layla.

No comments: