Saturday, September 20, 2008

Spanish Telemarketers

Lately I've been getting phone calls on both our base phone as well as my new cell phone. By the way, here's where I got my cell phone... Don't you love the name - MOVISTAR? Makes me feel so cosmopolitan, so international, like I'm SOMEBODY... except I'm having a hard time figuring out how to use the doggone thing. I digress...

Anyway... the phone calls I've been receiving are evidently from Spanish telemarketers. That's my guess anyway because I clearly can't understand anything any of them are saying. The person on the other end always speaks so quickly. There's absolutely no way I can comprehend anything being said.

I don't like being rude to anyone, even telemarketers who won't take no for an answer, but the language barrier has given me an easy out in this situation without being rude. I can simply say, "Lo siento. No habla Espanol," and then hang up! I've just told the telemarketer, "I'm sorry. I don't speak Spanish." See? I haven't been rude. I've said I'm sorry and I've told the truth in that I don't speak Spanish. Then I can slam... uh... I mean I can hang up the phone without feeling guilty. It's a beautiful thing!

No comments: