Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Lessons Learned

We have learned a few quick, valuable lessons in the first two weeks since our arrival in Spain, with the number one lesson being the fact that nothing happens quickly here. It’s simply part of the Spanish culture. Even our Spanish facilitator in our intercultural seminar last week told us that the typical response of the Spanish is “tomorrow.” Then tomorrow comes and goes, and whatever it is you were told would happen doesn’t happen. You know that’s a mighty tough lesson for us Americans as we like things done yesterday. Patiently waiting is not the norm for lots of people, me being one of those people.

I’m admittedly frustrated that we can’t get internet service NOW. I want to email, blog and surf the internet at my leisure and until my heart’s content. Right now the computer is my sole means of communication with family and friends at home. Sure, we can use our calling card to phone people, but we’d much prefer to use the internet phone line we set up before leaving the States. It’s truly a lesson in patience for me.

This waiting on internet service to be hooked up at our house is wreaking total havoc on my ability to blog too. What I’ve had to resort to, for the time being, is typing my blog at home on our laptop, saving it in a word document and then cutting and pasting it into my blog page once I’m up on the internet. Please be patient with me while we’re getting settled here.

We’ve also found that the Spanish tend to defy regular schedules, except when it comes to their siesta time. Of course I can relate to that and might end up adopting that same way of thinking. There should always be room for a nap every afternoon, don’t you think? I can so handle that!

The other thing we’ve learned is that technology isn’t quite the same as it is in the States. There are seemingly fewer techno geek gadgets and nothing is particularly user-friendly, at least not for me. I’m so technologically challenged here! I cannot figure out how to use my doggone cell phone. I hate to think I might allow a cell phone to get the best of me, but it could very well happen.

And of course television is WAY different, which I’d completely predicted it would be. Hello! We’re in Spain, right? We have the AFN (Armed Forces Network) here, therefore we’re able to view American television shows, but they’re generally delayed and nothing comes on at the times to which we were accustomed. And there are only like 15 channels. Let’s just say we won’t likely become TV watching couch potatoes during our time here, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but what I wouldn’t give to watch an episode of “Clean House” right now. Y’all know how I feel about this show and to think that I’m missing the start of the new season! Sigh…

I know there’ll be lots more lessons to learn while we’re in Spain. I’m trying to remain open to new things and just roll with whatever comes my way. I’ll keep you posted on my growing pains along the way…

No comments: