Friday, September 12, 2008

Mom, you're old!

Yesterday afternoon my youngest son had his first Scout meeting since arriving in Spain. They had their meeting after school at the playground and afterward there was a parent meeting, which my husband attended. When father and son came home, the little man told me that the mom of a fellow Scout was only 10 years old. I asked him to explain what he meant and he proceeded to tell me this woman has only had 10 birthdays. He said he "didn't know what the word was" to describe this amazing fact. We finally figured out that the woman has a birthday on February 29, so she only technically has a birthday during "leap year."

Somehow the conversation turned to growing older and my little man looked me straight in the eye and said, "Mom, you're old because you have lots of gray hair."

Yes, it's true; I do have lots of gray hair. I told my son that gray hair doesn't necessarily mean a person is old. Even younger people can have gray hair, younger people like myself, for instance.

He wasn't buying it. Smarty britches kid!

No comments: