Friday, November 7, 2008

Is this the same kid?

Well, it's been about two and a half months since we arrived in Spain. As I've said before, our boys weren't particularly thrilled with the idea of moving anywhere as they really liked Virginia. They loved our neighborhood full of boys with whom to play. They loved our big house with a basement. They loved their school and our church. They loved living where there was a Lego Store nearby, not to mention all the movie theaters, Game Stop, IHOP, DC monuments, etc. I think you're grasping what I'm telling you here... They LOVED Virginia and didn't want to leave.

But leaving a place is what we do... a lot. Our boys know this and they've always risen to the occasion and adapted to new places very well. This time seemed different, however, because our oldest was particularly vocal about not wanting to move. I suppose the older kids get, the more difficult it becomes to leave friends and start over in a new location. I never lived my kids' lifestyle, but remember moving once during my 6th grade year (the same as our oldest) and it was very traumatic for me. We only moved about 10 miles away, but it was far enough that I had to change schools and I was quite unhappy. I remember what it felt like, so recalling that major event in my life has helped me to have empathy for my kids.

We were a bit concerned about moving our kids, especially because we were moving so far away and to a foreign country to boot. When we first arrived, our oldest was quiet, a bit moody and incredibly apprehensive about going off base where there were few English-speaking people. It was plain to see that he didn't enjoy going off base, not even one little bit. He seemed somewhat depressed to me and that made me worry. Worrying is what mothers do, and I do it well.

The morning after Halloween we were sitting around the table rehashing the events of the previous night and I asked my oldest if he'd had a good time. (He'd decided at the last minute that he wouldn't go trick-or-treating, but opted to hang out at home and then go to the youth center party later.) He replied that he'd had a great time, and the next thing that came out of his mouth totally took us all by surprise...

He said, "I might just not want to leave Spain when the time comes."

Folks, let me tell you, those were simply the sweetest words I'd heard in quite some time. Could this be the same kid who, just a couple of months ago, wasn't exactly a happy camper? I'm not sure what has happened to change his mind about this place, but I'm grateful and I'm relieved, for him and for our family. Life is good.

No comments: