Monday, November 17, 2008

Movie Theater Tipping

The boys went with friends to a movie yesterday while I attended a baby shower (The hubster is out of town). They each had spending money for tickets and snacks, and my oldest decided to take his euro coins, although he didn't need them since they were attending the movie on base. I think he thinks carrying euro is cool, and I like that he's embracing the culture here a little more all the time, so whatever makes him happy is fine with me.

At the dinner table last night we were talking about the movie when my oldest told me he left a tip for the folks who run the snack bar. I was rather surprised and proud of my young man. He sees us leaving tips at restaurants, so I suppose he felt as if he wanted to follow suit, and it probably made him feel more mature, especially in front of his younger brother and friends. Perhaps he felt he was setting a good example as well. Would he even have thought to tip if there hadn't been a tip jar on the counter? I don't really know; I just know I was impressed.

My son spent less than $7 total at the theater (I know... great prices!) and yet he left a tip of 4 euro, which means he left approximately a $6 tip. I tried very hard not to laugh, reminding myself that I once gave an airport employee something like $15 for checking two bags or something (It was a mistake). We had a short discussion on who and when to tip and what's an appropriate amount. I told him it was very nice that he wanted to tip, but next time he should ask us (or the adult he's with) if a tip is in order. What can I say? My son is VERY "generous" and he gets it honest.

No comments: