Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Recess - 1 Parents - 0

In his preparation for school this morning, our 9-year-old realized he'd forgotten to show us a paper that was sent home from his classroom yesterday. He hurriedly brought it to me to read. The first thing I noticed was that it said, "Deadline November 26." Hmmm... isn't that TODAY? Gee, thanks for the heads up (both the school and my son)!

The note was sent in reference to holiday crafts that kids could participate in making as gifts for their parents. The gifts would even be wrapped. Sounded like a great deal, right? Of course the parents had to send in money for these gifts, which is comical to me, but I understand that these things aren't free... somebody has to pay for them.

My son was all about making a craft for his dad and me until we read the next line, which indicated that participation would mean skipping recess. My son's expression totally changed in that instant. He uttered one syllable. "Oh."

I looked at his pathetic little face and said, "You don't have to give up your recess to make gifts for Mom and Dad."

He flashed this bright smile and quickly took the easy out and said, "Okay!" and promptly threw the paper in the trash can.

I guess I know where my husband and I rate... definitely somewhere BELOW recess.

No comments: