Thursday, November 20, 2008

Mmmm.... churros!

A couple of mornings ago I went out for coffee and churros with a few girlfriends. I wasn't even really sure what churros were before moving to Spain. Let me just say that they're the ultimate in high-calorie carbohydrate-rich foods, which naturally means I LOVE churros! A churro is like Spain’s version of a donut. It's deep fried, so it's crunchy on the outside, but soft on the inside. From what I understand, once the churro is fried, it's traditionally rolled in hot cinnamon sugar, but I haven't always seen that here in the local area. I've seen mostly plain churros. One of my girlfriends brought her own cinnamon sugar mixture from home and we rolled the churros in that and they were SOOOOOO GOOOOOOD! Most cafes in Spain offer churros in the morning, but they can be ordered pretty much any time of day. The most traditional accompaniment for churros is a cup of hot chocolate, which people use for dipping. We had some of that the other day too, and it was good as well. Hello! It's chocolate! Need I say more? Mmmmm... churros!

No comments: