Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Progressive Dinner

A couple of weeks ago we participated in a progressive dinner with friends from the chapel and we had such a great time. Four couples opened their homes to a crowd of 50+ adults and kids.

The first home found us devouring lots of yummy tapas (basically the Spanish word for hors d'oeuvres). Here are a couple of snapshots of friends enjoying the beginning of our evening...
Stop #2 was reserved for soup and salad, which we helped prepare by providing potato soup. The recipe for our soup comes from friends, and it's a tried and true recipe, having made it several times over the years. This time, however, our soup turned out a bit thicker than normal. Seems we got a little carried away with the number of potatoes we used. It was almost more of a side dish than a soup. Oh well.

Here are photos taken at Stop #2... A friend and her daughter rode scooters to and from each location. We were lazy and drove.

There was quite a nice variety of salads along with our soup. I've decided I need to get a little more adventurous with salads.

The sun started to set as we finished the second course and were headed to the third... the main course.

Here they served up some delicious homemade paella, a typical Spanish dish.

Mmmm... paella!

Of course the 4th and final stop consisted of desserts, my very favorite. Everything tasted good, but one dessert in particular, an apple cake, was scrumptious, and I've asked for that recipe.

The kids had a blast playing in the backyard. They have this rope swing hanging from a tree and they took turns swinging on it.

My son gets a push from a friend. The boys had so much fun!

This was my first-ever progressive dinner. Yeah, I know... I've been living under a rock. I've seriously been missing out on some fun! It's a great way to get to know people better, enjoy some good food and possibly pick up some new recipes for the fam. It's all good! I vote for more progressive dinners!

How about you? Have you ever been to a progressive dinner? If so, tell me about it... Was there a theme? Did you have a good time? Did you get sick afterward?

1 comment:

Ellen said...

I love progressive dinners. At our last duty station we were part of a "Gourmet" group through the wives club. We had some of the best meals. There was always a theme and while we mostly ate at one home we always did a progressive dinner during Christmas and our final dinner in June. I haven't found any such group here at Dover. :-(