Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The things one can learn in Spanish class...

My hubby and I learned something new in Spanish class today. Our professor, Maite, brought in a DVD called "Abre los Ojos" (Translation = "Open Your Eyes"), which is a Spanish movie made in 1997. The movie has two distinctly different beginnings and she showed us both as part of a learning exercise.

Anyway, this movie was quite familiar to me because I'd seen it before, only I'd seen the English version called "Vanilla Sky" starring Tom Cruise. It seems Tom Cruise bought the English-language rights to Alejandro Amenabar's "Abre los Ojos." The 2001 remake is called "Vanilla Sky." Who knew? We certainly didn't until today. And furthermore, actress Penélope Cruz (beautiful Spaniard and former lady love of Tom Cruise) starred in both movies, performing the part of the same character, and we were told she even wore the exact same wardrobe in each movie. Interesting, huh?

We never know what we're going to learn in Spanish class! Maite knows almost as much about American pop culture as we do. In fact, sometimes I think she knows more. I didn't realize just how often American TV programs and movies are shown here. It's just funny to hear about these forms of entertainment from Maite. She talks about Homer Simpson a lot and I know she thinks Richard Gere and Brad Pitt are good-looking. One day we discussed music and she and I discovered we both liked ABBA. On another day Maite was making a point about something and she asked if we knew Sam Cooke's "What a Wonderful World," and the next thing we knew, she and I broke out in song...

"Don't know much about history... Don't know much biology..."

No comments: