Monday, April 6, 2009

Having a "crappy" time

As you're well aware, I'm not fond of the massive amounts of dog dookie that exist on the sidewalks here in Spain. I just can't comprehend how anyone could think that's okay. I find myself resisting the urge to scream to anyone and everyone I walk past, "Can you not smell that, people?!" I don't get it.

I thought things were a little more sanitary in base housing as I believe there are laws about walking dogs on leashes, and while I'm not sure about any specific laws regarding cleaning up after one's dog, it's seemingly understood. Your dog does its business in a neighbor's yard and you, the dog owner, clean it up, right? I think that's the way it goes. It's called common courtesy.


We might have had cats climbing on our cars, but we hadn't had dog dookie in our yard... until last week. We'd been out and about a few days ago, and upon pulling into the driveway of our home, we were greeted with a huge pile of dog dookie on our front lawn. Funny thing... we don't own a dog. Hmmm... where'd THAT come from and to whom do we send our thanks?

And mind you, I'm not blaming our close neighbors because we've lived here for several months now and this is the first time this has happened. It could have been anyone walking their dog. I just personally think it's rude not to clean up after your pets when they make messes in someone else's yard.

I love dogs! They're wonderfully intelligent, loving, loyal animals. I don't hold a pile of dog dookie in my yard against the dog... I hold it against the dog's owner. I've been a dog owner in the past, and will likely have another dog sometime in the future, but I don't intend to allow my dog to dump on other people's lawns and just act like I don't notice.
My hubby and I were on our way to Spanish class this morning and just as we were approaching the school, an unattended dog darted out into the middle of the street, squatted and did its business, right there in front of God and everybody. Isn't that special? It's as if the dog saw a sign such as this one...
I'm left wondering why these "crappy" experiences continue to occur wherever I go.

No comments: