Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Cub Scout Campout


Our youngest son camped out with the Cub Scouts over the weekend. He would have Daddy all to himself too. It's rare to spend time alone with Daddy, so the little man was psyched.


Our oldest, now a Boy Scout, wasn't part of the festivities, however, he accompanied me on a visit to the campground when I dropped off a few supplies. He strutted around the campsite when we first arrived and I heard him say, "Ah... Cub Scouts brings back memories," as if it had been years ago. I had to laugh as he left Cub Scouts to bridge to Boy Scouts only a year ago!

I think my oldest was prepared to be totally disinterested in the campout because he's older now, and there were all these younger boys walking around. Quite the opposite occurred! I think he felt like the big shot Boy Scout as he was having a blast with the younger boys. (He's the one wearing the mask below.)

As it turned out, he wanted to stay the night, however, we had already loaned out our remaining sleeping bags, and I really thought my husband should spend some alone time with the little man, so the big shot Boy Scout eventually came home with me.

We did stay for a while though, long enough to enjoy the campfire and skits as well as a short devotion by one of the base chaplains. The chaplain talked about how we don't have to afraid of anything because God is always with us, no matter what. It's always hard to tell if kids are really listening, isn't it? They fidget and whisper and act like they're completely daydreaming. I'm sure the chaplain wondered if anyone heard a word he'd said.


The weather took a turn during the night and it proceeded to pour rain on our campers. They were dry inside the tent, but the next morning, my husband asked our youngest son if he'd slept well during the night. He said, "The rain woke me up and I was scared, but then I remembered that God is always with me. I wasn't scared anymore and I went back to sleep."


Sounds like somebody was listening after all, huh?

1 comment:

Bethie said...

That is awesome!! I especially like the sentiment at the end. :^)