Tuesday, April 21, 2009

"Dining Out"... it's probably not what you think

Okay, if you're one of those military types, like us, you understand the meaning behind the term "dining out." If you're not one of those military types, you may have no earthly idea what I'm talking about. Please allow me to briefly fill you in...

Yes, "dining out" (verb) can mean just what it implies... dining outside your home.

A "dining out" (noun), however, is more of a social event where dining does take place, but there are lots of other details that one must take into account when attending one of these special military events.

Dining outs are a long-standing military tradition, dating back to early Roman times when commanders often held great banquets to honor individuals and units. This tradition has continued through the years and is alive and well today among our own U.S. military forces.

Dining outs allow for military members to bring along their significant others (Sidebar: There is also an event called a "dining in," which is solely for military members). The event is always formal and involves lots of foolishness and merriment, not to mention the consumption of massive amounts of alcohol for some people. There are rules of engagement one must follow lest one can and will be sent to the "grog" to drink a most foul "punch."

We attended a dining out on Friday night and had a great time. It was held off base at hotel called the Playa de la Luz, located on the beach in Rota. This is the view from the hotel. It was a bit rainy that night, so it wasn't the best for taking photos, but still... it's on the beach!

The evening got off to an interesting start as a whole tray of drinks was dropped right in front of a group of us standing around talking. Needless to say, some of us were a little wet and sticky for the rest of the night, which is such a comfortable way to spend any evening... NOT!


This guy was obviously playing the bagpipes and I thought he was very cute.


There were two long tables like this one for guests.


At the front of the room there was a head table for distinguished guests...


... and at the back of the room there was a small table where two people kept watch over the grog, which is pictured here. There are typically two grog bowls... one alcoholic and the other non-alocholic, but both fairly disgusting in taste. Hey, I don't make the rules. It's tradition! Oh, and yes, I know these are toilet bowls. I did mention the words foul and disgusting, did I not?

Dinner was pretty good, but not spectacular, which is seemingly most often the case at these types of events. Maybe I'm just picky. I had chicken and my hubby had beef. After trying one another's main course, I quickly decided I was glad I'd gotten the chicken. I enjoyed the lemon sherbet with a hint of champagne, which was served between courses to "cleanse the palate." Dessert, pictured below, consisted of vanilla ice cream with hot chocolate sauce, and that was good too. You know I rarely pass up an opportunity to eat chocolate.


Of course because we're Air Force folks stationed at a Navy base, we correctly predicted that those wearing the Air Force uniform would certainly be required to make multiple trips to the grog. Here they are singing the Air Force song, as requested...

Entertainment came in many forms... throwing of bread (a common occurrence during a dining out), video clips, trips to the grog and shooting of Nerf guns (proof positive found below)

Some of the Air Force guys, my hubby included, performed a live skit. They poked a little good-natured fun at the Navy leadership. Here's my hubby playing his role... I thought it was a funny skit. Okay, you had to be there, but trust me, it was funny.

We forgot to ask someone to take a photo of my hubby and me together, nor did I pose for any solo photos. It's almost as if I were never there! Obviously I'm more comfortable behind the camera. Of course I have lots more photos of other people, but some are incriminating and I don't want anyone hunting me down with the intent to inflict bodily harm, so let's just leave it at that.

1 comment:

Bethie said...

What an interesting and fun night!! Scott looks like he's concentrating very hard on the candle....