Friday, May 1, 2009

Feria Fashion Show


Feria season is upon us here in southern Spain and it's quite a big deal from what I can gather. This is a week long party of food, carnival rides, drinking and flamenco. I was told Thursday was ladies' night in Rota, but unfortunately, I didn't have the opportunity to join in the festivities. We're planning on going tonight, so I'll share more about that later.

A few weeks ago we attended a feria fashion show on base. Several of my girlfriends and their kids strutted their stuff on the runway. I was asked if I wanted to model a feria dress, however, I politely declined. Yes, I was a party pooper because I had serious doubts about the possibility of finding a dress large and long enough to fit me, plus I'm just more comfortable watching and taking photos.

This adorable young man started off the show. His mom is one of my friends. You'll see her later.

Here are some of beautiful dresses modeled that evening...

This little cutie is the daughter of one my girlfriends. She's quite the character too. You never know what she's going to say. We can always count on her for comic relief.

This blonde beauty is the previous little girl's older sister. I'm told they're polar opposites. This one is more sensitive and a little less vocal than her sibling, but they're both adorable.

Here's another daughter of a friend of mine. She's also one of my older son's classmates. I liked the skirt and blouse combo on her. Isn't she cute?

This is the mom of the young lady in the previous photo, and she's a fellow Air Force spouse. She's also a wonderful photographer.

The young lady modeling this dress is the daughter of another fellow Air Force spouse.

This is one of my closest friends here at Rota. Meryl is a Navy spouse, a neighbor and a hoot.

"N" is a fellow Air Force spouse and about as gentle and kind as they come. Isn't she beautiful? That dress was perfect for her!

This sweet friend is the mom of the little boy you saw at the beginning of the fashion show. She's also an Air Force spouse.

Notice a pattern here? Most of the models are Air Force spouses as the fashion show was organized by a fellow Air Force spouse.

The dynamic duo in this photo is a mother/daughter team. They are fellow Air Force chicks, neighbors and friends. The short one is my younger son's age, and although they're not in the same class, they're buds. The tall one and I spend lots of time together and she's one of my closest friends here.

Here's another Air Force mother/daughter team. They're also neighbors and good friends of ours.

This lady organized the fashion show. After the fashion show was over, she performed a flamenco dance. She's an Air Force spouse, but also a Rota native, and she's a character!

There were so many beautiful, colorful dresses!

I think we might have discovered a few promising models among these local lovelies.

Maybe I'll get myself a feria dress next year...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I want one of those dresses! They're fabulous!