Monday, May 11, 2009

Happy Mother's Day... sort of


Mother's Day was... different.

Let's face it, mothers are usually the ones who do the prep for any and all special events and holidays. Go ahead and tell me I'm wrong. You can't do it, can you? When she's the one who's being celebrated, it's up to the other people who reside with her to take charge. Sometimes they really come through, and sometimes they... well, they try.

My hubby was gone all last week on a business trip. He returned on Saturday afternoon, after I'd spent 7 hours at the ballfield for three games. I looked like I was there for the long haul as we had snack duty for two of the games. Add that to our own personal snacks, drinks, sunscreen, camera, camp chairs, etc., and I believe you have a visual. It was also unexpectedly cold, misty and windy.

Ugly thoughts can tend to creep into one's mind during these unpleasant times and one can start to feel a tad resentful. Of course I'm not referring to myself, but some people do have these thoughts. One can also start to ask questions such as "Why is this always my responsibility?" or "How come he never has to do this stuff by himself?" Of course, once again, I'm just suggesting that some people might ask these kinds of questions.

We had take-out for dinner that my hubby picked up, therefore I didn't have to cook. And thankfully he'd managed to get his laundry done before returning from his trip, so I didn't have that to do before he left again the following morning on another trip. Yes, he left on Mother's Day. I know it wasn't his fault. Really. Duty called, as it has a tendency to do.

He was hitching a ride to the airport with a co-worker and his wife, and they were to arrive at 7:30am to pick him up. At 7:22am, my hubby rolled over in bed, and upon seeing the time on the clock, immediately jumped out of bed and yelled, "The alarm didn't go off!" I don't think I've ever seen anyone move so fast.

I went out to the driveway, in all my morning glory (You know, in my jammies & robe, with unbrushed teeth and bedhead hair... Yeah, LOVELY!), to chat with our friends while my hubby hurriedly got ready. I know he was really glad he'd repacked the previous night.

Right before my hubby left, he ushered the boys and me into the dining room where my Mother's Day gifts were waiting to be opened. I received a new watch (Remember what happened to mine recently?), a Yankee candle and some Croc sandals. I also received some very sweet cards from the men in my life. This all took place in about a 2-minute timespan. My man had to get out the door! We said our goodbyes and he was gone again.

Now the boys were briefed the night prior about things they should do for me for Mother's Day. My hubby knew his being away on Mother's Day meant that he wouldn't be here to do the planning and prompting. He told the boys they should serve me breakfast in bed (a little hard to do when I'm in the driveway stalling the airport shuttle service), get ready for church without being prodded (That's actually possible?) and invite me to brunch at the base chow hall.

I hopped back into bed for a while so that I could have my breakfast of cereal, toast, banana and O.J. brought to me on a tray. My youngest son and I hung out and watched a cartoon, and just as I was starting to get ready for church, the phone rang. It was my husband. Seems my man forgot his Blackberry and sunglasses. He said he could make it through the next couple of days without them, but...

Yeah, right... he can make it without them. Are you kidding me? If he could make it without them, he wouldn't have called, would he? I know how attached my man is to his "Crackberry." He'd surely go through a severe case of withdrawals without his extra appendage. I threw on some clothes and headed to the airport to deliver the forgotten items. The look on his face told me he was very happy, and yet a bit embarrassed to see me.

I made it home just in time to finish getting ready for church. I could hardly believe it, but the boys had gotten ready in my absence. Wonders never cease! We arrived a few minutes late to church, but we were there. The boys took me to brunch afterward and paid my way with money their father had given them. It was all very sweet.

Later at home, my youngest asked to have a friend over. I mentioned that since it was Mother's Day, his friends might actually be doing something with their moms. That's the general idea, or so I've heard, on Mother's Day. He sighed heavily and looked as if he'd lost his best friend. Are you feeling the love here? I caved and he and his brother ended up playing with a couple of other kids who were also blowing off their moms on Mother's Day.

When I tucked the boys in last night, my youngest said, "I was a little bored today because Dad wasn't here." What? I'm evidently not his first choice of playmates as I don't know how to play any Wii games. Yeah, well, I thought Mother's Day was about me, not you! Yeah, Mother's Day was... different.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm sorry! I'll come take you out to dinner and we can bitch and moan about the insensitivity of the men in our lives. (just like sex in the city, except less sex, less city.)
;) love you