Thursday, May 21, 2009

Give me strength!

It's that time of year when kids are starting to completely tune out their teachers and are quickly becoming total slackers, the time when teachers are holding a collective breath and praying for patience and courage to make it through another day. Yes, my friends, it's the last month of school.

In mid-June my oldest will no longer be in elementary school. I can hardly believe I'm saying that! It just doesn't seem possible to me that he could be ready for middle school. He'll be a teenager in the fall!

Of course I hope my son actually makes it through 6th grade. He's been putting off studying, thus receiving a less than stellar grade on a recent test. He's moodier than normal. I thought mood swings only applied to girls!

My 6th grader can't seem to remember anything either. He had no idea he had a baseball game last night even though I'd told him multiple times during the course of the week. Last week information was sent home to parents of band students regarding tonight's performance. He gave it to us just last night and we quickly discovered he didn't have the appropriate attire required for the event. Luckily we were able to run to the NEX to buy him a new pair of pants.

He left his homework at home this morning and called to ask me to bring it to school. He's like the Absent-Minded Professor! I have enough trouble remembering things in general. I can't be responsible for reminding him of every little thing! Can my son possibly be ready for middle school when he can't remember squat?

Is it hormones? Is it end-of-school-itis? What is the deal? All I know is I need this school year to end before I lose it altogether.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't exactly know how it is because I homeschooled our two but try remembering and being the teacher too. You deal with it all every day. :-) It was a struggle some days. It won't be like this for long. Next thing you know they've been through college twice (our son) or maybe married and calling you to watch your new grandson (our daughter). Time sure moves on as we get, what's that word, OLDER. They say you are as old as you feel. I'm a 100 some days and 2 others. Hubby wants something in between. :-)
Hang in there and try to enjoy it.
Donna