Monday, June 22, 2009

Celebrating Fathers

Yesterday was Father's Day, which found us spending time together as a family. The boys gave their dad his gifts early in the morning, the youngest made breakfast (cereal and juice) for him and then we went to church. We had brunch at the base chow hall afterwards, which seems to be somewhat of a ritual for us. We don't really go for the food, but rather the socializing with friends. Due to unfortunate circumstances, within the next couple of weeks, the chow hall will no longer be providing Sunday brunch, therefore we wanted to take advantage of yesterday's opportunity to dine with friends.

The afternoon was spent at the beach with another family and later we grilled steaks and had a tasty meal, just the four of us. As we headed off to bed last night, my husband commented that it had been a great day, and it really was. I'm so glad he enjoyed himself because he deserved a memorable Father's Day, a day when he felt loved, honored and appreciated.

The boys (and I) are blessed to have this man as their father (and my husband)... His job keeps him very busy, both at home and traveling, but when he's around, he's engaged in whatever the boys are doing. He attends their sporting events, accompanies them to Scout meetings, helps them with homework and plays with them.

















I thank God each and every day for my hubby. He's such an incredible husband and father, and I can't imagine our lives with anyone else.

And while we're on the subject of fathers, this post really wouldn't be complete without mentioning three other very important dads... mine and my hubby's.


Here are my boys with my dad...

... and here I am with him. He was my biological father (He passed away two years ago), and even though we didn't live together in the "traditional family" sense, we had a great relationship. And while divorce has it challenges for all concerned, I always knew I had two men in my life who loved and supported me, and I feel very blessed as a result.


Here I am with my other dad...
... and here he is with my boys... He may not be my biological father, but he's very much my dad, especially in the ways that truly matter. He helped raise me and he's always been there for me, no matter the circumstances.


Here's my hubby with his dad...
... and here our boys are clowning around with him...I really shouldn't speak for him, but I believe it's safe to say my hubby has a great relationship with his father, one that brings the two of them a little closer with every passing year. I also have a great relationship with his dad and I'm happy to call him my father-in-law.

Happy Father's Day to each of these special men! Thanks for the many things you have done to touch my life and the lives of my children. We love all of you very much.

No comments: