Thursday, June 4, 2009

Feria in El Puerto de Santa Maria

Yesterday I shared with you photos and commentary from a recent trip to the feria in Rota. Today I'll share photos from a feria in another small town near the base... El Puerto de Santa María.

I actually went to the feria with girlfriends from my Spanish class. We went after class and only stayed a couple of hours, but had a great time. Here are the highlights...

The entrance to the feria was similar to Rota's.

Tinto verano, anyone? Some of our friends arrived ahead of us and were waiting with pitchers of drinks.


My Spanish teacher is pictured on the left, and the other two ladies are friends and fellow Spanish students from the base.


We hung out in this caseta, enjoying some Spanish cuisine and conversation. Thursday was "el Día de las Mujeres" (Ladies' Day) at the feria, therefore we saw lots more women than men.


The lady in green is another Spanish teacher at our school. She's helping one of her students, a neighbor and friend of mine, learn some dance moves. Don't you love their feria dresses?


I loved watching this precious older couple dance together!


These ladies weren't part of our group, but I had a good time watching them dance together and I thought their dresses were lovely.


I'm such a people watcher and this lady held my interest during her smoke break, as she managed to use her cleavage as a holder for her cigarettes. That's all I have to say about that.


Some of the ladies in our group were participants in the sevillana dancing, while others were merely spectators (That would be me since I have two left feet).


As we were leaving, we saw horse-drawn carriages carrying people. Even the horses are dressed for feria!


Did I mention Thursday was Ladies' Day? There were women of every kind there... young, old, Spanish, American, nuns, ladies in wheelchairs... you name it!

Maybe next year I'll learn to dance and buy myself a feria dress. Yeah, and maybe I'll win the lottery too! We'll see...

No comments: