Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Rota Feria

Feria season in Spain is quite a cultural event. Everywhere in Spain, from the tiniest of villages to the largest of cities, devotes at least a couple of days a year to their festivals. We just think the Spanish like to party, which is okay with us.

So... what is feria anyway?

Feria is basically like any county fair or "carni" I've ever attended in that one can find...

1) food galore, and none of it healthy (some foods, like churros and cotton candy, are familiar, but other foods, like coconut slices, are completely foreign to me)

2) music (flamenco being quite different than bluegrass and country, but WAY LOUD nonetheless),

3) dancing (except here they flamenco dance and where I come from they square dance),

4) fancy dresses (here ladies wear feria dresses, and in my neck of the woods ladies wear special square dancing garbs, but they're somewhat similar),

5) rides (pretty much the same as the ones back home),

6) drinks (except here they don't hide their alcohol... they flaunt it),

7) animals (except here it's usually just horses rather than the whole barnyard),

8) carnival games (the same kinds of games with the same kinds of tacky prizes),

9) foul smells (Here it's because of the horses, alcohol and perhaps a little B.O. thrown in here and there. Back home it can be blamed on all of the animals, the alcohol already on the Bubba's breath when he bought his ticket at the fair entrance and of course Bubba's lack of personal hygiene),

10) girls dressed like hookers and other interesting characters,

11) lots of trash, and...

12) loads of fun!

How about a peek at some of the sights we recently saw while visiting the Rota feria?

I don't believe I've ever seen these foods served at my local county fair at home in KY. I'm a little more accustomed to corn dogs, popcorn or funnel cakes.


The boys enjoyed the shooting gallery, despite the fact they didn't win a prize.


See what you can win at the carnival games? Priceless treasures, I tell ya... just like at home! I really wanted one of these Playboy bunnies, but I couldn't get the hubby to go try and win one for me.


The boys had a blast riding the bumper cars.


Here the boys get ready for this ride to start. Notice they aren't strapped in or anything. Apparently there are virtually no enforced safety standards for these carni rides. Were we crazy for allowing them to ride this thing? You'll be relieved to know, as were we, that the ride ended without incident.


These young ladies were beautiful in their feria dresses.


Even the little people dress up for feria.


Here's a chica dressed in "non-feria" costume.


This guy was entertaining. He stood just like a statue for the longest time and then he'd barely move. I'm more accustomed to other carni folk such as clowns, mimes and weight-challenged women (the new PC term for "fat ladies").


People gather in these pre-fab buildings/tents called "casetas" for dancing, singing, drinking... you get the picture. There are both private and public casetas.



These two had a great time. It's so nice to see them comfortable in their surroundings, particularly off-base among the Spanish. They no longer seem overwhelmed and anxious.


This good-looking guy was my carni date. Pretty cute, isn't he? He speaks a little Spanish too, which is always a bonus when out and about in Spain.


As it turned dark, the lights came on and it was really pretty. I don't ever recall seeing these kinds of lights at the fair back home.

We didn't go to the feria in Jerez or Sevilla where I understand they have big horse shows. Maybe next year...

Of course I kept wondering where the tractor pull was held. Sadly enough, there wasn't one. Can you believe that? The Spanish don't know what they're missing! Now that's some entertainment! Who do I call to make a suggestion for next year's feria?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If the pictures hadn't been there I'd in Walmart in Ky. Bubba's beer breath and BO. People dressed strangly and food. :-)Sounded a lot like a trip to Wally World especially around the first of the month. There was a guy in there Monday with more metal in his head than I've seen on a car. Scares me I tell ya.
The funnel cakes made me hungry. I bought lots of fruit today so I'll munch on some of that.
Enjoy hearing of the culture over there.
Donna

Kerry said...

That "chica" does not seem too happy that you are taking her picture. Did you have her sign a waiver to use her photo on your blog?????