Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Christmas cards

I'm finding that quite a few of the Christmas cards we mailed are being returned this year. Now, I expect that from our military friends because they, like we, frequently change addresses. It's understandable that a few of them might have moved since last Christmas, therefore a handful of cards may get returned. No biggie. But this year we're getting cards back from non-military people as well. What's the deal? Is everyone moving? Are they trying to hide from us because they know we're sending that mind-numbingingly long Christmas newsletter AGAIN this year?

Of course I love the fact that I have sent a Christmas card to an aunt and uncle at the same address for years and years, but all along I had been using an incorrect house number, however, it still reached these relatives. Why they never told me I had the wrong house number to begin with is beyond me, but I suppose they figured it didn't matter as long as they were getting their mail. This year the card was returned.

Years ago in my previous life, my then-husband and I sent a card to his cousin & her husband. When we received her card in return, there was a note inside letting us know her husband had died in October of that year. No one told us! We sent a card to a dead man! Talk about being mortified!

Some of this year's returned cards also had the forwarding address sticker attached to the front. That whole process confuses me a bit. I guess it's good to let the sender know the recipient has moved, but doesn't it cost the postal service to send it back to us? Why can't they just forward the doggone card?

Many of our friends send picture cards of their kids. Those are a nice way to see how much your kids have grown, but send me a picture of yourself occasionally. I miss you too! I want to know if you've put on as much weight as I have or if I'm going to be jealous of you for the entire next year.

A handful of my girlfriends rubber stamp beautiful, handmade greeting cards every year and I just love them. They're so creative and I know how much time and effort that takes since I, too, am a rubber stamper. I've never stamped our Christmas cards though because we send out way too many and I'd have carpal tunnel syndrome by the time I was finished, so that won't likely be happening.

Lots of people are now deciding it's just too expensive to mail Christmas cards. You have the expense of the cards themselves and then the postage on top of that. Throw in a newsletter or a picture or two and you've managed to spend a few bucks. I'm still okay with that though. It's the only time of year I'm likely to correspond with many of the recipients of our Christmas card and newsletter, so I'll spend the money. We have several friends and family members who never send cards, and I don't get that, but we continue to send ours, whether they like it or not! :)

Lots of people are now going to the online greeting card, but I wonder... If you're down and out and can't afford to send cards, an e-card is cool, but I really think most of the people who send those aren't fooling anyone. They don't want to spend the money or take the time to address the cards. Just admit it people! You know it's true!

I still love sending and receiving greeting cards any time of year, but especially during the holiday season. It makes my day to go to the mailbox and see a handful of cards just waiting to be read and re-read. It's one tradition I'm not ready to give up.

No comments: