Sunday, December 2, 2007

Shoot the rock, baby!



Shoot the rock, baby! I can hear Dick Vitale saying those very words, but unfortunately, no one on the University of Kentucky's basketball team was able to carry out that mission today. Kentucky played North Carolina this afternoon (and lost), which can be an ugly scenario for our family anytime the two teams meet up. You see, I'm a UK fan, but my husband is a UNC fan. Luckily our teams aren't in the same conference, or we'd really be in trouble. We love college hoops and can easily cheer for each other's teams, but only if they aren't playing each other.

When my husband and I were dating, I went to visit him during the NCAA conference and we knew UK and UNC would be playing one another. I brought all of my royal blue Wildcat attire to wear and of course he had his light blue Tarheel garb. I was feeling particularly confident in (SMUG ABOUT) my team that year and I was really bragging (TALKIN' SMACK) about how UK was going to beat (MOP THE FLOOR) with UNC. Well... UK lost to (GOT SCHOOLED BY) UNC and I wasn't feeling so confident (COCKY) after that. In fact, I was very subdued (CRABBY) and informed him that I was passionate about (OBSESSED WITH) my UK basketball, and if he gloated, I was going home early. :) He was very sweet and didn't rub it in at the time, but of course has since managed to rub it in a time or two.

Thankfully I've grown up a little since then and can handle it when our teams go head to head. We invited friends over today to watch the game with us. These are folks we just met a few months ago and they both happen to be UK fans. It was nice having other UK fans around for the moral support. God is good, isn't He? :) UNC has a really good team this year and are ranked #2 right now. And Kentucky? Well, let's just say we're in a rebuilding phase and let it go at that. I'm not a fair-weather fan though. I'll always root for the Wildcats, no matter if they suck. GO BIG BLUE!

No comments: