Friday, March 7, 2008

I say a little prayer for you...


Today my oldest son's entire grade level (100+ kids) is going on a field trip to the Science Museum of Virginia, which is at least a 2-hour drive from here. I am not chaperoning because they were leaving at 7:30am and I still have my little man to get on the bus. Sure, I could have asked my neighbor at the end of the street if she'd mind my son coming to her house at around 7:00am this morning, but she's got her hands full with her own son as well as a newborn. I decided to forego the field trip chaperone notion altogether this time.

Can you imagine being on a field trip ALL DAY LONG with 100+ fifth graders? I can imagine it, and frankly, I think I made the right decision in not going along for the ride. Besides, PMS and 100+ kids just aren't a good mix, wouldn't you agree? I'm sure I couldn't have been held accountable for my actions today. It's just best for all concerned that I stay at home and just hear all about the field trip this afternoon.

When I took my son to school this morning to meet up with his classmates for the field trip, I walked him in and chatted with his teacher for a brief moment. I told her I'm praying for her today. I said it jokingly, but I really will say a little prayer for her, the other teachers, all the kids, chaperones and bus drivers. I pray for their safety. I pray they'll have fun. I pray they'll conduct themselves in as much of a dignified manner as possible. I pray no one forgets their lunch. I pray everyone is dressed appropriately for the weather. I pray everyone gets along and that there won't be any drama. I pray the teachers, bus drivers and chaperones have loaded up on patience and Tylenol. Thank you, Lord, for people willing to take a bunch of kids on a field trip. Amen.

No comments: