Saturday, March 1, 2008

We didn't win, but we had fun

Last night our Cub Scout Pack held the annual Blue & Gold Banquet. The theme was "Chinese New Year/Year of the Rat," thus Chinese food was the chosen cuisine for the evening, which I think was brave of the adults considering how picky kids can be. I know when I was a kid I wouldn't have touched Chinese food, but then I was raised in the boondocks where we didn't even know what that stuff was. I have grown up and become a little more adventurous in my selection of food items, and I very much enjoy an occasional Chinese meal.

But I digress... so let's get back to the B & G Banquet and the point of this post...

A dessert contest was held at the banquet and participants had the choice of two themes: Chinese New Year/Year of the Rat or Scout Spirit (always an option in any Scout dessert contest). The last time our family participated in the dessert contest it was around Halloween time, therefore we chose to enter a witch cake. This time I opted for Scout Spirit, preparing sugar cookies that I tried to make in the image of the Cub Scout Wolf (the den in which our youngest son currently belongs).

I am not a pastry chef and I didn't really know what on earth I was doing, but this is what our entry looked like and I thought they turned out okay. What do you think?


There were 1st and 2nd place certificates for winners of both categories in the dessert contest. Alas, we did not walk away with a certificate nor any bragging rights, but we still had fun and enjoyed looking at the other creative dessert entries, a few of which I have posted here for your viewing pleasure. Check them out...




The boys weren't disappointed that we didn't win, especially after they got to sample the various desserts. They were both on a sugar high they wouldn't come down from for several hours afterward. I wouldn't know, for I was fast asleep when my hubby put them to bed, dreaming of sugar, lots and lots of sugar...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay, the rat on that cake looks real. Not sure I would be standing in line for a piece of that. Nice job on the cookies, very cute.