Saturday, July 26, 2008

Anger Management, here I come!

I wanted to get a new driver's license before moving. The reason? Even though my old license didn't expire until 2009, it would "drop dead" before we return to the States, therefore when I eventually come back, I wouldn't have a valid license. I figured I'd get a new one now so as to prevent a future hassle. So in essence, I just went through the hassle now rather than later, and boy, what a hassle it was!

The DMV is now at the top of my least enjoyable places to visit. I had to go there three times before I had everything I needed to get a license. I still can't believe it! My husband had gotten his new license just a few days prior and hadn't experienced any problems, but he'd gotten it taken care of at the Pentagon.

I thought my military I.D. card would suffice for one of the required pieces of official identification. Well, it didn't, because I'm a dependent, not the military member. I had to go home and retrieve my birth certificate. Turns out I accidentally picked up the hospital birth certificate instead of the notarized state issued copy, so that wasn't good enough either. I decided not to try a third time in the same day because I was, God forgive me, starting to have evil thoughts about the DMV nazi behind the counter.

I returned the following day, all the necessary paperwork and forms of identification in hand, and I met the same DMV nazi at the counter. She didn't completely remember me from the day prior and asked me who I'd talked to the previous day. I reminded her that I didn't get past her desk the previous day, but I had every intention of doing so this time. She didn't even crack a smile. Geez, those people are tough characters!

I finally made it past the front desk and felt like I'd won the lottery. I had my boys with me, who, thankfully, had remembered to bring their Game Boys so as to keep from dying of sheer boredom. I, on the other hand, had failed to bring anything to do while waiting, however, I had a regular field day just people watching. Lord, have mercy, there were some real interesting folks in the DMV yesterday! There were scantily clad women with tattoos and mean-looking people who were obviously unhappy about having to be there. Some man seated in front of us broke out in song for no apparent reason. Let's just say it was entertaining.

I sat for several minutes and then heard an announcement that basically said they couldn't give licenses for out-of-state people. In other words, I wasn't going to be able to get my license after all. I just started laughing out loud, and people began to stare at me as if I'd lost it. Well, they didn't know how close to losing it I was at that moment in time. I walked over to the DMV nazi's desk and asked her what the scoop was, and she told me to continue waiting, and that if I had to come back, they'd give me a number so I wouldn't have to wait in line all over again.

I eventually heard my number called and I approached the counter, ready to hear that they couldn't help me and I'd have to come back. I figured anger management was in my future at that point. But you know what happened? I think they took pity on me, there for the third time in two days, my kids in tow, with a look of desperation and, I'm sure, sheer madness on my face. Yep, I think they knew I'd had about all the disappointment and frustration a person could take.

I now have my VA state driver's license and I'm one happy camper. Of course I still have to get a Spanish driver's license when we move to Spain next month. Now THAT ought be a blog-worthy experience. I can hardly wait!

2 comments:

A Quietheart for Him said...

EXCUSE ME??? And where is the picture to prove you need to go to Anger Management Classes?

We do need to see the picture 1st before we can enroll you.

Thank you,
Registrar
Anger Management, Inc.
:):)

Anonymous said...

Marva,
After much searching, I found your link to your blog. I neeeded a good laugh and you as usual provided one. :) Will you keep this up in Spain? You must. What will I laugh at? Hope all goes well with the move. You are in our prayers. Keep in touch!!
Sheila