Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Moving Day Memories

I know I've mentioned more than once the fact that my family is relocating very soon, and to another continent no less. This is a very big deal for us, let me tell you. We've never lived overseas, so I'm a little intimidated to say the least. I don't know the language either, so there's something else to intimidate me even further.

I suppose I could go ahead and tell you where we're headed. Now that my husband FINALLY has his orders, I think it's okay to say we're going to southern Spain. We'll be living near the ocean, on the Atlantic side.

All the planning for this move has brought to mind our last move, from Alabama to Virginia. We were in Alabama, and the packers were loading the last bit of our household goods on the truck, when they came to the sad realization that they weren't going to be able to fit everything INSIDE the truck, therefore they strapped stuff to the OUTSIDE of the truck. You know I had to get a picture of that!
Now you tell me... Do these pictures look like something you'd see on "Country Fried Videos" or what? This would definitely have made for some fine material for any blue collar comedy routine. If one of us had actually been sitting on the back of the truck, we could have no doubt been mistaken for the Beverly Hillbillies.

I can only imagine what the people on our street here in Virginia thought when this moving truck drove past their homes and pulled into our driveway. I know what they thought alright. They thought, "Where's Jethro, Ellie Mae, Jed and Granny?" I'd have thought the same thing.

I wonder what memorable moving moments we'll be reminiscing about in a year or so. Stay tuned...

3 comments:

care-in said...

Oh my, that's pretty funny! I always loved moving day when I was growing up. Spain...how exciting!

kristi said...

DANG! That is one big ol' truck!

Anonymous said...

Looks familiar.LOL Reminds me of when we left Kansas and moved to Scott AFB. We had a big truck and I thought I would have a heart attack when a dinky truck showed up on the other end. Turns out they decided to load two smaller trucks. That was our shortest and messiest move of all. Gotta love moving...uhuh