Thursday, July 17, 2008

Could it be sinking in?

Sometimes parents wonder if their kids will ever really exercise good manners or common courtesy without having to be prodded. I suppose it's a process and we just have to be patient and use "gentle" reminders, such as the glare, nudge, poke, pinch or the verbal "What do you say?" when trying to get kiddos to do the courteous thing.

I'm starting to see some improvement in that area where my boys are concerned, and it's got me wondering if all our hard parental work is paying off, or if the boys are simply "working" us. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and choose to believe it's because they've been paying attention and actually learning and applying basic good manners.

Both boys often rush to open doors for me, and will open them for others as well. I love that! I just think it's a considerate gesture, no matter who you're opening a door for.

The other thing I've noticed lately is that the boys are generally quick to respond with a respectful "Yes/No, ma'am/sir," which is something I think all adults appreciate, especially nowadays.

My little man is having a sleepover this Friday and he's invited two friends who just happen to be brothers. I told him he needed to be sure he wanted to invite two people because that would mean taking turns playing the Wii (We only have two controllers), and he said he would let his friends play first while he watched. Then we talked about what kind of food we'd have for dinner that night as well as breakfast the next day, and he said he'd let his friends choose.

Yep, my boys are displaying some good manners alright. Makes a mama proud! Those cattle prods work wonders, don't they? (Please know I AM kidding!)

1 comment:

care-in said...

That's good to hear...I'm desperate to see some pay off!